1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Cards for Mage

Discussion in 'Deck Help' started by Kusanagi22, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Kusanagi22

Kusanagi22 New Member

any help will be appreciated :)
    -Bianca

2. Galatea

Galatea Active Member

The starter mage looks very similar to White Mage job so I would say your cards of choice would be Kirin, Famfrit, Fafnir, Shiva, Succubus and Yuna for now. You get element resistance to the water elements which is why I don't include an aoe fire (not to say that aoe/cone fire isn't bad), but later on you will need a little bit of light and dark element seeds to progress which is why Succubus is good bc of her light seeds she gives. For sure you will want Artemis as well to get Dark seeds later on too. That's what I generally use.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Wolf likes this.
  3. Kusanagi22

Kusanagi22 New Member

thanks im still using the beginners choice cards for my mage after i level them up ill look into those suggestions :)

4. Galatea

Galatea Active Member

You can use your ability tickets to get them in the ability shop. They are already 3* as well which is very nice.

5. Death

Death Scholar of the Abyss ( on Hiatus )

If you are just starting the game with a base mage do the following and play on hard:
    Abilities:
    Salamander, Fenrir, Succubus.
    These will allow you to auto pilot until the end of chapter 2 on HARD.
    They Stun/Poison/Reduce Damage.
    The only bad thing is these abilities cannot be augmented later on, unfortunately.
    But that's not really an issue in my opinion.

Wolf likes this.
  6. Yunne

Yunne New Member

For a Mage it is advisable to only invest in it if you have it as a summon job.

Any summon Mage job is good Mage, white/black Mage, etc.

Once you have one of them focus on lvling and augmenting an ability card that is the core element to that Mage i.e. Fire or Water. The ability would help greatly if it has a low orb cost when they are 4* which is 3 orb per cast i.e. Kirin, Fafnir, Famfrit or the farmable cockatrice. This will allow you to cast more frequently to clear the mobs faster with high damage to obtain higher score which transit into higher skillseed bonuses. Have at least 2 of these card with different element each.

Next up try to buy a Moogle support card from the ability shop with 3 ticket. Level it's skill seed and ability to max by grinding the drop mob for its 3* respectively after augmenting it from 1* to 3*. For more info refer to the card section in the forum about augmenting lesser drop card.

Once you have those cards, the last one would totally be up to you to place a heal support card which could be Yuna from pre-reg gift, Cait Sith from ability shop or the Drain support card from farming and augmenting in Shrine of Trials upper section.

If you don't have those card don't worry just rent them from other players to compensate what you are lacking.

With all the above setup your Mage should be a very strong power house to enjoy the game more easily.

Alkaiser likes this.
  7. Mirthful

Mirthful New Member

When the cards abilities are totally maxed out, do you know if the single target ability or the area with single target focus ability does more damage to a single target (or if they do the same)? I'm looking at the Mage Aero and Aeroja here, but if the answer is the same for all I'd love to know it...

8. Yunne

Yunne New Member

If we are looking at Mage cards, single target will always be more damage than an area focus abilities on one single mob.

The single target cost way less orb to cast than the area focus and Mage abilities have the extra abilities that return orb and this will further strengthen Mage abilities that has the lowest orb cost compare to higher cost.

9. Mirthful

Mirthful New Member

So single target definitely threat to go, thanks! Do you know if that trend holds true for the other class types?

10. Yunne

Yunne New Member

So far in the game as per date, given if the card are the same rarity any lowest orb cost are superior than a higher cost.

This will in turn makes the ability dish out more damage per orb (dpo in short) on a single target.

11. Mirthful

Mirthful New Member

Very handy assessment, thank you!

12. Eric

Eric SOLDIER 1st Class ( on Hiatus )

Hold on... Slight correction.

In terms of raw damage, the fourth tier (main-target focused, area) abilities do nearly double the damage of single-target.

Not accounting for any job bonuses, here's a comparison of the four tiers of water spells at max ability level and 3* rarity:

Name (Att, Break, Orb Cost)
    Tier 1 (Single Target) - Blizzard (374, 306,4)
    Tier 2 (Cone Target) - Blizzara (306,204,4)
    Tier 3 (Area Target) - Blizzaga (408,204,6)
    Tier 4 (Main Target Focused Area) Blizzaja (748,374,8)

As you can see, the single target spells only do more raw damage than cone spells. Area and Main target area spells do more damage than single target. The real differentiating factor is orb cost. Though even in terms of orb cost, the -ja spells do equal attack damage, but less break damage.

When you have these cards at 3* rarity, it's almost always better to use the single target and cone spells, but when they are eventually upgraded to 5*, orb costs are all reduced by 2, and with the extra skills unlocked, the -ja spells become significantly more usable.

13. Yunne

Yunne New Member

Eric showed the more detailed information.

As per my upper post just focus on the lowest cost as possible for now on single target in the long run it will be the more sustainable damage per orb on single target.

There is even more in depth calculation for the damage if someone willing to explain which is the comparison between 2 orb and 6 orb 5* offensive abilities with 6orb available for casting.

14. Eric

The only reason that end-game the 6 orbs become viable is simply because it becomes significantly easier to obtain orbs. With four panels maxed, I'm almost constantly running into the problem of being maxed on orbs with no way to remove them quickly (since my 4* abilities cost 3 orbs, but give one back and my regular attacks give me 2 orbs). If that trend continues, by the time all 8 skill panels are unlocked, I can see where I'd need the higher orb cost spells just to get rid of orbs.

Death likes this.
  15. Yunne

Yunne New Member

Yep my Mage has the exact same problem in dumping orb too.

The focus area might be more situational in that case to dump orb on the starting of battle for each round in the future probably.

I'm not convince it will be a good idea to use on break phase unless it's the last action of break and you still have enough to dump one big bomb :)

16. Eric

Oh I agree with you completely. That's why I've been focusing mainly on single-target, cone, and area.

17. Mirthful

Mirthful New Member

That's helpful info, maybe good to focus on single target and just spend a little time keeping up with single focused area for later game.

Any thoughts on how the "single target plus status effect" damage generally compares to just single target?

18. Eric

I'm not certain - I never really used the 3*+ cards since they had limited long-term use. If I had to guess though, I'd assume they do either equivalent damage or slightly less to make up for the status effect.

19. Death

Death Scholar of the Abyss ( on Hiatus )

Succubus right now crits a boss for 9999 and bio status effect hits for 4K sometimes.
    It's my main water ability at the moment. But I think eventually I'll move on to blizzard. Because of the limit on the 3*+.

20. Eric

The numbers alone don't mean terribly much unfortunately, due to the number of variables that go into it (job/skill bonuses, enemy defense, enemy resistance, weakness, boosts etc.)

But short-term, the 3*+s are great, long-term not so much. So having a 3*+ isn't an excuse never to train up your natural 3*s.