1. New Emoji section added

MP Stamps, Enjoy @Wolf
    Dismiss Notice

Down and Dirty Guide to Breaking (MP ONLY)!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Rocky, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

So this won't be pretty and I have nothing bust subjective data to support all the claims in this guide on breaking. But please, if you want to do any amount of breaking please read this, and reply with any questions I will do my best to respond promptly.

So being able to clear the "red bar" is only a part of our job. In reality I like to think of Breakers more as "Controllers". As a breaker you control the ebb and flow of the battle. You will be the one (if everything works out correctly) BREAKING the boss and generally providing the group with the ever so precious orbs that allow them to dps. In addition (at higher skill levels) you may very well be breaking the orange bar, and/or providing some game changing debuffs.

TLDR: Build deck with high break power, don't use drives, make sure you melee 3 times EVERY turn LAST

Deck Selection:
    The single most important stat for Breakers is as you guessed Break Power. I'll use the Assassin job as an example. With no cards equipped using Maneater X you will have 236 break power. Filling in those 4 precious card slots effectively can get you to 600+ break power.
    Most Breakers will agree there are 2 basic "required cards", the first being Artemis (aka Arty). Arty provides a 3% passive increase to break power and when used greatly increases it. The second is a PuPu (preferably of the opposite type of the enemy you are fighting) a level 36 PuPu provides 44 Break Power from deck level alone. Couple that with the active ability which also provides additional break and you have a power house card.
    Now that your deck is half done, you essentially have three options.

1. Max Break Power: For max break power decks you need to fill your deck with the highest level cards you have, preferably wind cards with the passive 3% break power. As an example, in my max break deck on my assassin I run both Mephistopheles at 4* and Griffon at 4* each of these providing 51 break power each. While I can't activate their abilities, the passives are still active. This deck setup is great for beginners, and requires little management, even the AI can't screw it up.

2. Debuff Breaking: This setup starts with the basic Arty+PuPu, and adds in 1 to 2 debuff cards. Using and timing these debuffs can allow you to break when you want to, and/or provide the rest of your team a substantial increase in damage. The most commonly used cards are Shemhazai (Comet), Hecatoncheir (Debarrier) or Phantom (Debarrier). While none of these provide a passive 3% break power, you will get break power from their level. With the short duration debuffs (comet and Phantom's Debarrier) it's important to time it for when the break is going to happen, so the groups damage can be maximized.

3. Double Breaking: Double Breaking is something I've come up with very recently in light of all the dps running decks with cards that have low break power. Remember the break power listed on a card is for clearing the orange bar, not the red. Only melee auto attacks clear the red bar! This deck starts with the basic Arty+PuPu and adds 2 taunt cards. The taunts have INSANELY high break power, and can be unlocked so that they do not cost a turn to use. This means you can break the orange bar, melee 3 times, use the other taunt, and melee 3 times again... and you've broken the boss all by yourself. The downside to this build, is that you have to get lucky with your orbs.

How to Play:
    In a perfect world as a breaker you will never need to use an ability which costs you an action turn. But again, that's in a perfect world. Now that you know you aren't here to be blowing up the boss, how do you spend your turns? Well, your options are 1. Use abilities which don't use a turn ie. Arty, PuPu, Taunts, Heca, 2. Melee swing (last to ensure everyone gets orbs), 3. Cast a debuff, and swing 2 times to transition into a break phase, 4. If you have haste (extra turns beyond 3) then feel free to cast whatever dps ability you have handy or burn a drive.
    Haste is incredible and can come from a number of sources, but remember, even with extra turns you still need to generate orbs for your team!!!

The Control:
    So I said I think of Breakers more as Controllers, well beyond just mindlessly breaking the mob there is a rhyme and reason to it. Essentially when you break a mob you force it's actions to stop, and it lasts for one turn. BUT, if you break the mob mid turn, you get whatever is left of that round as break as well. What does this mean? That means if you get into a situation where your team has full orbs, and someone else can melee at the end to generate orbs (ie. a support or defender) and you can break at the START of a round. The dps can blow up the boss, then you get your orbs refilled by the support/defender/whomever and you can unload again on the true break turn. Also forcing a break can be used to give the team some breathing room either before or after a boss deals a ridiculous amount of damage to the team.

The End:
    Let me know if there is anything else, or any further discussion anyone would like to have.

L1ght3N, cgHaxor, Boyd and 5 others like this.
  2. NoisePilot

NoisePilot Active Member

This is super nice to read. I usually break Hunter, but I don't have The last panel unlocked, so sometimes I'll use Thief and it makes me roll my eyes to see Breakers Using attack skills every turn -_-

3. JeanGrey

JeanGrey New Member

i wonder, if i dont have FFRK legend card, how should i do my role? as for now, i have slayer with 568 BP.. i know its still not enough, but i plan to aug my arty to *4 which i believe it can increase my BP into 570ish.. i use pupu *4 x2, griffon *4, and arty *3.. is that enough?

4. sietho

sietho New Member

Have no idea augmenting arty can increase the BP... I'm considering replacing Arty with FFRK: 4WoL instead since those life orbs are truly a hassle when we don't have em by the 2nd turn. Wind orbs are abundant with Gladius.

@TS: Thanks for doing this, I guess the most difficult part is recognizing when you can break first and everyone got a full orb deck and extra actions.

5. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

That build is totally fine and it'll last you quiet a while as well.

6. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

If I was still running a build w/ my Gladius I would likely use WoL because I love the control it provides. However running the Maneater helps keep my group capped on orbs, even if I'm the only one using auto attacks.

Snacki taco likes this.
  7. davemoomin

davemoomin New Member

Hay all, I have an Explorer (from a pulled Ranger)
    I'm running...
    1 x Artemis (Lvl30)
    2 x Fire Pupu (Lvl 40 & 41)
    1 x 4WoL (lvl 29)

When i view my deck im seeing a Break Power of just 382

What am i doing wrong?
    Will the job really make that much difference?
    Is there a better card setup? (I have most cards so can swap them out)

8. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

Job, deck level, weapon, and card passives all add up quickly. The 2 fire pupus are great for deck level but have no passive +break, 4Wol also has no passive +break. Explorer also has the lowest break potential of all the Ranger Breakers Mine sits @406 w/ Maneater X, Arty @37, PuPu@37, 4Wol@36 and Taunt @36. I don't really use my Explorer build because I don't find that 4WoL is worth a spot in a break deck at this stage.

9. davemoomin

davemoomin New Member

ok thanks, so better off swapping the fire pupus for water for the resist then.

10. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

I always use the PuPu that is opposite element the boss, the extra damage causes more break.

Eljaidan likes this.
  11. Pookie

Pookie New Member

I don't really know what's wrong in here, but if you can break half of a full red gauge, you're still good to go.

12. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

Good to go and maximizing potential are separate ideas. Content gets much harder, let's start learning now rather than later.

13. grailhawk

grailhawk New Member

So whats the recommendation if you don't have 4* Pupu's, 2* is in the store that good enough for now or are there better options?

14. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

2* cards have a very low max level and will drop your break power by A Lot! As an example if I swap my lv42 PuPu for a level 32 I drop from 644 break power to 628. If you have 4* wind cards with the passive +3% break I would stack those, otherwise use your highest level cards for more passive break.

cgHaxor likes this.
  15. grailhawk

grailhawk New Member

Any thoughts on driving for resistance in a group with out a defender?

16. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

In the current Meta so long as you have either a defender or a support who can get up barrier asap driving as a breaker is not required. I will say that if you have haste running, extra turns or are in in a really shit group go ahead and drive. You can break anything if you are dead.

17. rdx.awp

rdx.awp New Member

In Double Breaking.. This deck starts with the basic Arty+PuPu and adds 2 taunt cards.
    Can you suggest the best taunt cards that can be used. TIA :)

18. Izmael87

Izmael87 New Member

Use opposite element, because it give resist. (wind/Echo: FFRK=Resist Earth+8%)
    Also you get Shield Sicarius imperator +8%.

19. grailhawk

grailhawk New Member

So if it is the brakers role to generate orbs for other players, how and when is a braker supposed to remove excess unneeded orbs to make room for hart orbs?

I can see how PuPu's with quick cast could be used for this but is that the only way?

20. cgHaxor

cgHaxor December VIP 2016

I can't answer all of this for you, but I have found that in 3* battles, as dancer, after I get haste up and especially after I use my ultimate, I am help a lot with generating orbs. After a few turns, we settle into breaker goes first, then damage/tank expending & driving orbs, then me to generating fresh orbs. Rinse and repeat. But that may just be happenstance.